The inside story of Meliora Learning and Development.
At the core of everything I have done, and continue to do, is the desire to help people be the best they can be.
From my very first teaching experience as a volunteer tutor to a teenager who had been excluded from school, through to my work in education and the corporate sector, I’ve wanted to make a difference by giving people the skills and knowledge they need to perform at their best, and be happy and fulfilled. Our learning and development consultancy seeks to continue this mission by providing learning and development expertise so HR consultants and small businesses.
The guiding principles in our learning and development consultancy are:
Keep the desired performance goal at the forefront of the process
Focus on the HOW, not just the WHAT
Skills development and practice, not information dumps
Meliora Learning and Development came into being in 2022 following the massive change brought about by the Coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdowns. ‘Normal’ life was on hold, and it gave me time to think about where I wanted to take my career next.
Whilst working out my next move, a close friend commissioned me to complete some learning and development projects for her HR consultancy. Following these initial projects, I went on to complete further work with her consultancy, including designing a series of management development modules, a goal setting workshop and a career planning workshop. Whilst working on these projects I realised that my skills and knowledge could be of value to other HR consultants who need to support to meet the learning and development needs of their clients. I re-positioned myself as as a learning and development consultant for HR professionals and the rest, as they say, is history.
Who I Work With
I work with HR consultants who:
- Have specific questions or challenges related to learning and development
- Need help organising their ideas and knowledge into interactive and engaging training
- Do not have the skills, experience, or capacity to design and deliver training for their clients
I often refer to myself as a ‘Learning and Development Generalist.’ This means that I have a breadth of experience and knowledge across different subject areas. Over the course of my career I have designed and delivered a variety of training across different business sectors including:
- Systems training in banking
- Management development, soft skills, and pitching and business generation in property
- Sales skills training and new starter inductions in IT distribution
- Performance management systems and best practice and running a remote-learning management development programme in the charity sector
You can find full details about my skills and experience on my LinkedIn profile.
I have expertise in:
- Training needs analysis
- Training design
- Training delivery
- New starter induction
- Line manager development
- Goal setting
- Giving feedback
- Performance development and improvement
- Coaching for managers
- Resilience and self-management
- Wider people development projects such as competency frameworks
- Ad hoc advice and guidance and consultancy
Some fun stuff
I am a cheese-loving*, stationery-obsessed calligra-geek who loves nothing better than going for a long hike or playing with pens and creating calligraphy. I’m also a gin connoisseur who is always on the look out for the perfect gin for make my favourite cocktail; a Vesper Martini.
- Favourite cheese – Lancashire Bomb, and any Isle of Wight soft cheese.
- Favourite stationery – Uniball Eye Fine Nib and Mildliner highlighters.
- Favourite gin – La Republica from Boliva for a special treat, Ludlow Gin for a martini.
- Favourite place to walk – The Lake District.
*Except for Wensleydale with fruit. There is no room for that on my cheeseboard.